Sunday 27 November 2011

Josiah can walk!

Whatever concerns that I had for Josiah over his inability/unwillingness to walk have finally been dispelled. He has been walking on his own for a couple of weeks now albeit not completely stable as he sometimes stumbles because he walks very fast. I'm happy with his progress. He's got many pairs of shoes too although they are not expensive/branded ones.
And I'm happy to note that his top left incisor has finally began to show. This happened when we were in Vietnam. Mom told me that a piece of his gum came off and was hanging from his gums! Must have been quite a scary sight.
Our trip to Saigon was good. It is not your typical holiday of sightseeing, relaxing and shopping. It was  an eye opener. I was sad because we got to see the after effects of the Vietnam war in the 1940's-70's. A lot of children are handicapped beyond imagination due to the chemical 'Agent Orange'. Not to mention that most of the people there are very poor too. The main mode of transportation is motorbike. It is a common sight to see a whole family of 4 on the motorbike. They also drive very precariously and it is no surprise that a lot of them succumb to road accidents. The only consolation is that the country is fast developing in the industrial sector and lots of factories are blooming. This trip once again reminds me of how blessed I am, to be living in a peaceful and thriving country. I'm going to get my hands on these books to read more about the war:-  The Girl in the Picture: the Story of Kim Phuc, the Photograph and the Vietnam War by Denise Chong and Ten Thousand Day War: Vietnam by Michael Maclear.
PS: We missed Josiah so much while we were away. Everything reminds us of him. I bought him 2 pairs of cheap shoes and 4 t-shirts. Sadly, I was told he did not miss us.

No comments:

Post a Comment